Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.

Your physical regiment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your physical regiment

Post  ParamilUSMC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 am

So whats your physical regiment? What do you do to keep in shape?

For me it's slightly simple. Or at least I think it is.

Three mile run boots and utilities, (train as you fight) and at times I will dawn the flak and or a red gun M16 and do the run. If I am truly motarded I dawn the gas mask, if my goal for the day is to control breathing. If I have to slow the pace to a shuffle for whatever reason I practice tactical breathing to slow my heart rate. I will post about tactical breathing here in a minute in the "Tricks of the trade" forum.

After that a little gym time, 30 minutes working legs first (working the larger muscles of the body helps the body release more testosterone, causing you to get more out of your work out)

Chest second: bench, barbells or flies.

Arms: curls, 21's, barbells

And shoulders: Military press most of time

Once I have knocked those out (usually a set of four with the third being the heaviest rep, the fourth being the same weight as the first rep) I either do 100 flights of stairs on the stair climber, or use the jumping boxes and do 100 jumps on various different heights of box's in sets of 20. All in boots and utilities, and yes I get some looks in the gym. Some have asked if I am part of the cities SWAT team, I just tell them "Marine" and they relax.

I do this every other day and try and switch up the exercises for each muscle group if I can.

Once a month I take out the BOB and do a six mile hump in various terrain.

Last edited by ParamilUSMC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited/updated information)
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Re: Your physical regiment

Post  andrew jackson on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Morning pt is whatever the sgt tells me though I'm allowed to make suggestions.

My personal routine is done after work.

I have it separated into 4 days:

Chest
Arms
Back
Shoulders/legs

Each time a muscle group gets worked I keep a few exercises as constants. It try to add variation as well.

I also usually do something with abs and at least twenty to thirty minutes on he elliptical. In fact I'm on the elliptical right now. I'm using the forum as a distraction from the exercise that I'm doing

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm

I need to shed about 35-40 pounds and could use whatever advice I can get. I used to be in excellent shape, but because of back trouble, I cannot do much distance running any more. I also have to moderate the amount of weight I can work with, too. I have a treadmill and basic workout machine that covers the "pulley" exercises. I need to pick up some dumbells to mix things up, though.
I'm looking for some ideas about how to regulate my diet better. I know there's no quick fix, just a lot of self control and consistent work. When I was a prison guard, I was in top shape. I need to get back into better shape. I still work on the farm with all sorts of tools and such, but at 53 years old, I need to change my diet and lose the size. I am a big man, with wide shoulders and thick legs, so I tend to stay away from anything that'll add mass. I'm tending towards more aerobic type of workouts, things to gain stamina. I know that as I lose the weight, my back will benefit. I've worked out with freeweights for years and was strict about full range of motion. I used to combine the workouts with martial arts, to keep the stretch. Since having moved to the country, I'm not as close to the gyms as I used to be, so I'd prefer the kind of regimen that I can do here.
Any help will be appreciated.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 am

RhythmKing, PM sent
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  NY_Brewer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 pm

I typically work out two days on, one day off depending on the week.

Every workout begins with light core and leg stretching, followed by 45 minutes of cardio. Cardio is cut into 15 minute intervals of elliptical, running on a treadmill, and StairMaster. During warmer months, I'll run outdoors on various terrain for 3-5 miles (no weights or gear or anything).

First training day of the week usually consists of cardio, chest, and triceps. Two types of presses for chest, two forms of flys, and dips. Triceps will consist of incline or flat skull crushers, cable pull downs (palm up), v-bar extensions, and over-the-head rope extensions. Particular exercises change through the weeks.

Second training day is cardio, back, and biceps. In front of, and behind the head pull downs (or pull ups, depending on the week) followed by cable close-grip/far-grip rows or barbell bent over rows, plus a few improvised workouts with ropes... straight-back deadlifts for low back. Preacher curls for biceps (dumbells), reverse barbell curls, power pyramid seated hammer curls.

Third training day is cardio, delts, and abs. All sorts of various abdominal work... Delts consist of military press, Arnolds, palm-up front raises, side raises, palm down front raises, and upward rows.

Fourth training day is cardio and legs. Legs consist of squats, some form of leg press, quad extensions, hamstring contractions, two types of calf press, and if I'm feeling ambitious I'll burn out on the StairMaster.

If I go for the fifth training day, I do cardio and arms. This is my do-whatever-the-hell-I-want day. No structure.

NY_Brewer

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:03 pm

ParamilUSMC wrote:RhythmKing, PM sent
Thanks.
I'll be getting my first complete physical in over 10 years soon. It's not that I deliberately aviod the doctor, I just never took the time to go. My back issues were from a few different causes. First, I have a pelvic tilt that causes the lower discs to grind unevenly on one side. If I run, it becomes excruciating in less than a mile. Second, I did damge while lifting weights years ago by connsistently going too heavy for long periods of time. Thirdly, my extra weight doesn't help at all.
I think I'll be starting with cardio work until I get into better shape, then I'll move into weight training. Surprisingly, it's only been in the last few years that I gained the weight. My biggest problem was eating late at night. I've stopped that and junk food. Now, it's time to get active. I work hard on the farm, so there should be decent improvement.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew jackson on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Rhythm if you can access a pool swimming is a great cardio workout that would be really low impact and help you out a lot.

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  NY_Brewer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I agree with AJ.

Stationary bike and elliptical machines should be pretty low impact as well, as long as your lower back does all right with the twisting of your hips.

NY_Brewer

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks for the replies. I have a pool at my home here in SE Tennessee. When it warms up a bit, I think I'll begin daily swimming.
Thanks again.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  canman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:30 am

I do crossfit on shift days,they give us an hour to workout when we clock in. On my days off I run. I try to do at least 50 miles a week.
canman

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm scheduled to go through a dive class next month, so I have been doing allot of swimming with fins, snorkel and a mask, even though my weight has not gone down my body fat has plummeted from 20% to 14%. Just toning what I already have I guess.
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum