Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.

Pump vs. Auto

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pump vs. Auto

Post  Paladin on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm

I'll get this shotgun forum started! I own a couple Remington M870s (one for hunting and one for defense). While I love the simplicity and reliability of the pump gun, I am starting to kick around buying an auto-loader. There have been Beretta 1201FP police trade ins on Gunbroker for cheap, and I've always been impressed with the Benelli M1 and M2. I'm getting VERY tempted to abandon the pump for defensive use...

So, pump-action versus auto-loading shotguns... What say you?

Paladin
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Back to top Go down

Re: Pump vs. Auto

Post  ParamilUSMC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 am

In my junior years as a Marine I got put on a special detail and one of our main shotguns was the 870 express. We had the option of getting the Benelli, but there was one thing that made it impossible. Non-lethal munitions would not cycle the bolt back to reload the next round. Being that we were in a defensive position and our deadly force continuum did not allow us to use deadly force in every scenario we had to stick with the pump. I have also noticed that I can more easily put more accurate rounds on target with a pump then a semi cause the muzzle doesn't rise as much if I am not constantly pulling the trigger. Plus the sound of racking a pump shotgun is known (thanks to Hollywood) to everyone, and just that maybe enough to disinterest/deter someone that is breaking into your home.

I guess it depends on how you decide to incorporate a shotgun into home defense. But for my situation, and for the money an 870 express with a surefire grip will always have a place at my bedside. Just my opinion.
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry D Young on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 pm

I prefer the semi-auto shotgun for a variety of reasons.

1. Have a gimpy left arm and can't work a pump reliably.
2. Can't work a pump very effectively one handed.
3. Untrained people have a difficult time getting pumps to work reliably.
4. Many current semi-autos reliable enough for defensive use, even if not quite as reliable as good pumps.
5. Many semi-autos have less recoil than most pumps with the same ammunition, making it easier to use for more people.
6. Current police/military semi-auto shotguns will reliably handle light to heavy loads, though still not as well as pumps

I chose the Remington 11-87 for the above reasons, with a 26" barrel as the shorter barrels do not have the gas adjustment system for low power to magnum shells interchangeably, is an effective hunting shotgun, as well as defensive. With a screw in Poly-choke I can shoot any load I want with just a twist of the wrist. It also gives me the ability to use a 5-round extension for 9+1 capacity for defensive use.

I added a few other options, so it is long and heavy, but it meets my needs for a dual purpose shotgun.

Just my opinion.
Jerry D Young
Patriot Laureate Emeritus
Patriot Laureate Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew jackson on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Personably I am not opposed to a good semi, but all things considered I like the simple mossberg 500. It isnt fancy, but it works.

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  NY_Brewer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm a pump-action guy. The mechanics are simpler and therefore less prone to failure IMO. Not to say that autoloaders are unreliable, but like anything else, less moving parts is usually better. I've gone through a few pumps but stuck with the 590A1.

Another reason to own a pump is that it will likely never be considered an ''assault weapon''. My A1 and my bolt action .308 are literally the only two firearms I own that wont require registration next year Mad

NY_Brewer

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 am

Another great reason to leave the York.
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 am

I've got 2 509's and an old Model 12 that's almost 100 years old. I still shoot it. I like the fact that if I hold the trigger down, it will fire as I cycle the slide as soon as the round is chambered and the bolt locked in place. I have an old Ted Williams semi-auto 12 gauge that I think is a 1300. I used it as a meat gun. It only holds 3 rounds, but has an adjustable gas regulator.
I like the semi auto and it does have less recoil. It would probably be easier to use in the event of being hit in the hand or otherwise disabled. The pump is positive and reliable. I have one in the bedroom with a light attached, for things that go bump in the night. I've also considered getting a semi for defense. There are some nice ones out there.
Maybe this is the new "AK vs. AR" thing.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  SSG Nasty on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Just have an old Remington 870 pump, 12 gauge. Take it out once in a while just to let it know I can still handle it.
SSG Nasty

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 am

www.copesdistributing.net has Mossberg 930's for sale at 679 each. They're the tactical version with the extended mag and ghost ring sights.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum