Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.

Must have gear and training

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Must have gear and training

Post  andrew jackson on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:18 pm

I am just a grunt but I have CLS training. I spent 5 years a lifetime ago as a lifeguard and have experience with that as well.

Training is a must, obviously. You need to be able to apply a tourniquet in less than 30 seconds. That alone can save a life. You need to have many tourniquets as well. I think I had 7 overall spread across my gear load out. If I need one just about any damned pouch I have has one.

Quick clot is a miracle invention on par with fire and the wheel. Lear to love it. Avoid the powder though, that crap is dangerous. If it gets in your eyes you have a real problem. Get the combat gauze. In fact we don't even use the powder any more just the gauze.

Learn where to use it and where not to. If I was a gunshot victim and you tried to put that in my abdomin region I would try to kill you as my last dying action.

Learn about needle decompression as well. A collapsed lung is bad news. I'm not sure where you can get the needles but I am sure this is all out there.

A simple thing I just don't understand not being in y issued IFAK but should be and you should have lots of is hydrogen peroxide. Infection can be fatal. It is cheap insurance and honestly, you may never need to apply a tourniquet or do needle D but I guarantee a friend or your kid or friends kid will eventually get a scrape or cut and just tending to small cuts and scrapes can really put a person at ease.

Preparation. Is key to anything.

Train like you fight, fight like you train. The skills I mentioned are all easy to learn. In fact they are so simple a damned Marine can do them all.

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Re: Must have gear and training

Post  ParamilUSMC on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 pm

All great points. Reminds me to take the Quick Clot powder out of my IFAK and toss it.

I also got to find some smaller bottles of hydrogen peroxide, cause the one I have in the BOB is to heavy, lol regardless if its cheap or not.
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc_Shane on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 am

must have training-

basic patient assessment, can't fix it if you don't recognize the problems.

basic head to toe assessment-

HN S CASPER

Head
Neck
Shoulders
Chest
Abdomen
Spine
Pelvis
Extremities
Reflexes

Looking for-

CLAP D

Contusions
Lacerations
Abrasions
Penetrations
Deformities

Level of consciousness (LOC) check-

AVPU

responds to-

Alert (answers person, place, time, etc.)
Verbal only
Painful only
Unresponsive

Follow ABC's, unless it is an extremity wound then go to TK to stop profuse blood loss.

Doc_Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc_Shane on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 am

If we really want to explore this, please ask any questions-

I don't want to overload with information, so I will address the down and dirty how to do it's.

Doc_Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:38 am

Doc:

I think we need some detailed threads based around certain types of trauma. Just my opinion.
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc_Shane on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 am

come up with a list of trauma that you would like to cover-

Doc_Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 am

I hate homework. But i will get together a few points of interests as long as others here do the same.
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew jackson on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Doc I think covering treatment of gunshot and knife wounds to the torso and neck would be a great Topic to Go into. Honestly though, perhaps we should start with more basic problems more common such as open and closed fractures, and lacerations going beyond the simple paper cut.

I'm personally interested in learning more log term ways to treat a wounded warfighter when EVAC isn't an option.

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am

I'm with AJ as far as his recommendations for trauma. May I suggest pictures on pigs perhaps (dead of course), for those of us that are more visual learners.

I would like to see some stuff on closing up wounds after the brunt of the damage has been repaired. Broken back/neck maybe arterial bleeding?
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum